Wednesday, October 15, 2014
october beauty favorites: kathleen
1. A few weeks ago I headed into Rainbow Blossom looking for an Andalou Naturals serum. They didn't have it, but they had a tester of this 1000 Roses Moroccan Beauty Oil, so I dabbed a little on my hand before I left. I seriously could not stop petting my hand for the rest of the night--it was so soft. I went back and purchased it the next day, and have used it twice daily ever since. It's a blend of oils including sunflower seed, rosehip, argan, and (my favorite) jojoba. After it sinks in, skin feels somehow not at all oily, just silky and moisturized. I definitely prefer the feel of this to the Kiehl's Midnight Recovery Concentrate that I have used before. While I love the hot pink glass bottle, I should mention that my bottle's dropper doesn't work, so I can only get the one or two drops that cling to the end of the tube before having to dip it in again.
2. I wasn't expecting to like Laua Mercier Smooth Finish Flawless Fluide all that much, if not for the press and advertising overload then definitely for the price tag. Of course, I tried it anyway. I was completely floored by how just a tiny bit of this thin liquid covered my rosacea so well, but still looked completely natural. Be sure to start with exfoliated, moisturized skin, start with just a few drops, and blend really well. I will say that the packaging is not great--store upside down, shake with the lid off and your finger firmly over the opening, and try not to squeeze the bottle.
3. Essie nail polish in Smokin' Hot has been one of my favorite fall/winter polishes for a few years now. It's a beautiful purple-gray with a glossy, opaque cream finish. It's a great choice for when you don't want to commit to a super-dark color. I find Essie to be pretty hit-or-miss in terms of formula and application, and this one is definitely a hit.
4. As the weather transitions, my skin tends to go a little haywire--it gets dry, sensitive, and red. I picked up Andalou Naturals Probiotic + C Renewal Cream (after I was so impressed with the 1000 Roses oil), and really love it. It's a really silky cream with a pronounced citrus scent. It sinks right in and isn't at all heavy or greasy. I can't say if the probiotics are responsible, but my skin has been staying moisturized and calm.
5. I am usually pretty wary of celebrity cosmetic lines, and I more or less dismissed Kat Von D's. However, the Everlasting Liquid Lipstick in Bauhau5 caught my eye at Sephora, and I couldn't resist. It's a matte fuchsia that goes on as a liquid and dries to a long-wearing finish (like these, another favorite). I recommend a light coat first, and if you want a deeper, more raspberry color, apply a second coat after the first is completely dry, otherwise it ends up a little sticky and may transfer. I don't find this to be drying, but it will accentuate any dryness on lips.